Monday, July 1, 2013

Anew—WARNING: MOVIE SPOILER IN THIS POST.

I don't know what it is about me and planes but it's been a year and I never concluded blogging about my summer in NYC so let's start fresh. Just to provide some background, I'm spending 3 weeks in Thailand starting likerightnow. The plan is—Week 1: Bangkok at my uncle and aunt's house, Week 2: Chang Mai in the North plus a few other provinces, Week 3: the beach towns in the South. 

TRAVEL TIME
The last America meal.
persspert

Just pointing out that this guy stole 2/3 of my name.

เพิ่มคำอธิบายภาพ ←I don't know.

เพิ่มคำอธิบายภาพ ←Still don't know.
So we spent this whole damn day traveling. Really, I loved it. We flew 2 hours from Phoenix, AZ to San Francisco California, and another 12 hours from SF to Beijing, China. There was another hour spent sitting inside a dormant plane because of plane traffic, although plane TV played surveillance of a completely empty plane lot surrounding us. Once finally up in the air though, it was another 5 hours and we arrived in Bangkok's Suvaranabhumi Airport. As I was saying, I don't know what it is about me and planes, but in that collective 20 hours of plane time, I stood up not once. 

The good hunk of flight onward to Beijing was spent sleeping, reading, and eating chicken and rice plane food and a second meal of  chicken noodles that tasted like feet (I didn't finish it). I did end up watching some movies on the screen with no earphones. The first movie was a Daniel Craig 007 film (there was no sound, but I'm almost positive that Judy Dench dies. JUDY-FREAKING-DENCH DIES. At least I'm pretty sure.) What was more interesting was the second film. I had no clue what it was, but it was a black and white film, and this dude with a mess of hair rescued a baby from this Chinese Dragon-looking monster fish by teeter-tottering off various docks. I dozed off, and the next thing I know, there's this lady in the scene with powers that manipulate floating rings and she's fighting this Chinese maiden that turns into a pig wearing a dress. She's holding the pig down, and the guy with the mess of hair has to kiss the pig in order for it to disappear (or die, I wasn't sure). It was shot in black-and-white, but those scenes were definitely computerized so I'm think it was a more current movie which I will probably never get its name. I suppose there's beauty in that suffering.



The feet meal.

IN THAILAND

My computer switched to Thai characters. While I am using Google Chrome (props to Google Chrome), I still don't know the possibilities of fonts I could use to change this body of text because that was the one thing that did not translate to English.

Sight: The Suvarnabhumi Airport glows blue at night. Here, the driver's side is on the left, and we drive on the left side of the road. Small pick-up trucks carry loads at least 10 feet (or should I start thinking in meters?) tall. There are dogs in the street, and not the small ones that get mistaken for hefty rats, but medium-large sized dogs that my mom is convinced are all rabid monsters. Even if that's half true, I still want to scoop them all up  and take them home with me.


Smell: Thailand smells like my grandma and then sometimes like my Dad's breath when he speaks to me closely.

Sound: They may have been listening to an English radio station because they were picking up an American from the airport, but the American music here in Thailand is pretty current blaring Demi Lovato's latest single as well as Bruno Mars'—who I always call Frankie J in my head before correcting myself—latest single, and some Coldplay. And then you have a lot of '90s music that is popular as well. Boyband 98°, I feel like Dreamstreet played; some Brian McKnight was playing. My uncle's house is on the outskirts of Bangkok, and outside of the wonderfully air-conditioned truck, the town is quiet. Right now, it is around 4AM so the dogs are sleeping, but they WERE barking just half an hour ago.

Touch: It is humid here. I'm not going to get metaphorical and mention that when we walked out of the airport, I was swimming through molasses in a boiling pot or something like that, but it is HUMID. and HOT. So here's to the next 3 weeks of sweat soaked Marie, but it's rainy season so hopefully the rain masks all the sweat I'm sweating. ขอขอบคุณคุณ ←kthanksbahye.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy you're gone only because it means more blog entries! Take pics of the wild rabid dogs!

    ReplyDelete